International partnerships

International partnerships contribute to the creation of new knowledge and a stronger position in the competition for funding and recruitment of the most talented researchers and students.

Student exchange agreements

The formal framework for student exchange is an exchange agreement stating how many students can be exchanged per semester/year and the conditions under which the exchange takes place (language requirements etc.).

Types of exchange agreements

Health participates in several exchange programmes and networks. Exchange agreements are always signed by the Vice-dean of Education on proposal from the Office of International Relations. Staff members are requested to not sign agreements.

  • Nordplus: This network is a Nordic collaboration supported by the Nordic Council of Ministers. The networks are subject based, i.e. there is one for medicine and one for sports science. The universities within the networks can exchange students with one another without there being a formal agreement. The students can apply for a Nordplus grant for their stay abroad.
  • Erasmus: Erasmus agreements are signed exchange agreements between two European universities and within a given study area, i.e. medicine or public health. The students can apply for an Erasmus grant for their stay abroad.
  • Bilateral agreements: These exchange agreements typically cover the area outside the range of Nordplus and Erasmus, i.e. overseas destinations. The students can apply for a travel grant from Health for their stay abroad.

Suggestions for new exchange agreements

Suggestions for new agreements are assessed by the Office of International Relations. We take into consideration which courses the proposed exchange partner can offer to students at Health and for how many students it will be relevant. Health does not enter into agreements to accommodate only one student.

Existing exchange agreements can be found in the online application MoveOn for students.

Partnership agreements

Partnership agreements can take many forms and have many different purposes. A good partnership helps to develop and strengthen the faculty’s activities within research and education, carries over to colleagues in other research groups, and adds to the faculty’s international prestige.

Good advice when considering a partnership agreement

When considering a partnership agreement, it is advisable to reflect on the following:

  1. What activities are you planning? Do they include education or research education?
  2. How many participants are you expecting in the planned activities?
  3. What need is met by a partnership agreement? Is the purpose clear? At what level should it be entered into to fulfill its purpose?
  4. Why is this particular partner important? Have you had previous collaborations?
  5. Who benefits from the partnership? Can the scope be widened to include colleagues from other research groups?
  6. Is the partnership supported at the partner institution? Is a designated contact in place?
  7. Is there funding – or expected funding – of the planned activities?
  8. What is the expected outcome? And what is the future potential of the collaboration?
  9. Consider whether you need administrative and/or academic support for the partnership to succeed with its activities.
  10. Last, but not least, it is advisable to consider whether the partner institution is of a caliper that merits a partnership agreement. 

Guide and template for partnership agreements

For support regarding partnership agreements at faculty or university level and for agreements involving education or research education activities, please contact the Office of International Relations at Health.


Before you commit the department, faculty, or university to a mutually binding agreement that involves education or resources (funding, positions, person-hours, facilities, etc.) be sure to get the proper approval.

Agreements are signed at the corresponding level of responsibility, i.e. Rector, Dean, Head of Department, Head of Graduate School, etc. Research collaboration agreements not involving education or research education activities are typically signed locally, e.g. by the relevant head of department.

Documents that require the signature of Rector, Dean, Vice-Dean, etc. is forwarded to the Office of International Relations along with background information. Partnerships that commit the faculty or the university are restricted to universities that support the strategic ambitions of the institution and you should be prepared to submit information explaining why the agreement is important (see guide above).

Please allow plenty of time for signing, especially when forwarding documents for Rector’s signature, e.g. Institutional Commitments.